Honor. Integrity. Truth. Character.
What is Scottish Rite?
The Scottish Rite, often referred to as 32° Freemasonry, is an appendant body of Freemasonry a Master Mason may join to journey deeper into the teachings of the craft.
Our VisionWe will strive to be a fraternity that fulfills our Masonic obligation to care for our members. 32° Freemasonry seeks to strengthen the community and believes that each man should act in civil life according to his individual judgment and the dictates of his conscience. In August 2018, the Supreme Council of the Scottish Rite, 33°, Northern Masonic Jurisdiction, voted to adopt an updated brand identity. Click here to view our brand guide.
32° Scottish Rite Masonry expands upon the fundamental principles of Freemasonry, exploring Masonic teachings more deeply. Building upon the ethical and philosophical teachings of the blue lodge, Scottish Rite reveals a wealth of knowledge about Masonry not found in the other degrees. It seeks to enrich the philosophy of the Symbolic Lodge in order to help good men become even better.
A member of the Scottish Rite seeks to:
- Aid mankind’s search for identity and destiny in God’s universe
- Produce wiser men in a wiser world, happier men in a happier world, and therefore better men in a better world
- Promote the dignity of every person and the humanity in all activities
Our Core Values Are:
Reverence for God | Devotion to Country | Integrity | Justice | Toleration | Service
32 ° Freemasonry
Scottish Rite Freemasonry is a way for a Mason to build upon the ethical teachings and philosophy offered in the craft lodge (also known as Blue Lodge), which consists of the first three degrees of Freemasonry: Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft, and Master Mason. The Scottish Rite continues these degrees, from 4° to 32°. A Scottish Rite Freemason may attain the 33°, which is an honor bestowed for outstanding service to the Brotherhood.
THE SYSTEM OF DEGREES:
Each Valley has up to four Scottish Rite bodies, and each body confers a set of degrees. In the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction, the bodies are the:
The Supreme Council confers the 33° of Sovereign Grand Inspector General. This honorary degree is granted in recognition for individual accomplishments in private life, business, government, and the arts, as well as leadership and service within the fraternity.
A Brief History of the Valley of Altoona
32 ° Freemasonry
Joining 32° Scottish Rite Freemasonry is a way for you to continue to expand your understanding of Masonic principles and teachings. As you progress through the degrees, you will find an untold wealth of knowledge. You will more deeply explore questions raised in the blue lodge degrees. 32° Freemasonry is often considered a “graduate course” in Masonic teachings. Our degrees supplement and reinforce the blue lodge in every way.
32° Freemasonry is for those who wish to better themselves and the world through deeper engagement with the philosophy, values, and teachings that have supported Freemasonry for more than 200 years.
Benefits of being a 32° Scottish Rite Mason:
- Further light in Masonry through the exemplification of the 4° – 32°
- Being part of a fraternity that puts the Masonic obligation of caring for each other at the center of all we do
- Expanded network of Masons in each of the 101 Valleys in the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction
- Personalized birthday and holiday cards from Supreme Council
- Brother-To-Brother calling to stay in contact with members
- Premium website content for members only
- Additional online educational resources for members only so you can go even deeper into the degrees
- Interactive programming with Scottish Rite leaders and Brothers to keep us connected
- An ongoing, private forum space to discuss any and all things Masonic (coming soon)